Thread: National Trust Woman

National Trust Woman

So we have got someone who is going to put the earth in a different orbit.
    I heard her giving it out on Radio 4 this morning.I THINK SHE IS VERY DANGEROUS.
    The trouble is that what she is saying is very attractive to a large number of people who have no understanding of a complete picture.
    We have had all these arguments ad inifinitum on this forum before, whether we keep subsidies or maybe not
    There is going to be a lot of trade discussions in the near future, in my opinion the sooner the better.If we do not get free access all round coupled with equal subsidies, it is going to be very difficult for our farming industry and our country.
    This woman is totally nieave. She does not understand why farming grants and subsidies came about in the first place.I do I remember food rationing and balance of payments cries of 19 50,s.
    I would agree, just like the EU, subsidies have become a monstrosity, distorting agriculture, and we would be far better off without them. It worries me though that a woman like her might have too much influence!
    Jack Caley

edit,

Her name is Helen Goosh, she was on Today programme at about 7.20.

Oxford of course, went in to government, knows all about the countryside.

Google her on National trust website.
    Last edited by Jack_Caley; 05-08-16 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Addition

Re: National Trust Woman

Welcome to the new Britain , with the taste of things to come , if we haven't had enough from the Urban majority hoisting Countryfile ideas on us already . If we get direct funding or any capital grants UK agriculture will come under the same scrutiny that the BBC gets , which is far ,far greater than their main rivals ,Sky ,ITV ,Channel 4 & and all the other companies . OK the Beeb` has its faults a plenty , but compared to its rivals ,Sky and their young Dolly bird presenters which would not be allowed to happen at the BBC ,ITV for making Jeremy Kyle and Channel 4 for making that load of old drivel Naked Attraction , the BBC would be slaughtered if they made such programmes ,because they are publicly funded .

If the powers that be want us to do Butterflies, then they should pay us ,and pay us properly instead blackmailing us by proxy to do it on the cheap as they do now. Here in Wales its a disgrace the way conservation grants and funding are allocated ,with the dithering and delay in making decisions to give clear guidance to get on and do the work ,and making all claimants feel like benefit cheats , it is plainly obvious that every thing has got far worse since the creation of Natural Resources Wales . http://naturalresources.wales/?lang=en
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Hopefully when things settle down a bit there will be less funding for home grown bureaucrats with no outside-UK help

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Welcome to the new Britain , with the taste of things to come , if we haven't had enough from the Urban majority hoisting Countryfile ideas on us already . If we get direct funding or any capital grants UK agriculture will come under the same scrutiny that the BBC gets , which is far ,far greater than their main rivals ,Sky ,ITV ,Channel 4 & and all the other companies . OK the Beeb` has its faults a plenty , but compared to its rivals ,Sky and their young Dolly bird presenters which would not be allowed to happen at the BBC ,ITV for making Jeremy Kyle and Channel 4 for making that load of old drivel Naked Attraction , the BBC would be slaughtered if they made such programmes ,because they are publicly funded .

If the powers that be want us to do Butterflies, then they should pay us ,and pay us properly instead blackmailing us by proxy to do it on the cheap as they do now. Here in Wales its a disgrace the way conservation grants and funding are allocated ,with the dithering and delay in making decisions to give clear guidance to get on and do the work ,and making all claimants feel like benefit cheats , it is plainly obvious that every thing has got far worse since the creation of Natural Resources Wales . http://naturalresources.wales/?lang=en
    as you say they want wildlife on the cheap, alongside cheap food.
    they have funded field margins etc, but I sometimes wonder if it could not have been done rather better.
    I suppose what I have to suggest might only apply in our part of the world, but there will be other arable areas.

We have never had any environment scheme, other than the compulsory one/two metre band, for various reasons.

In the old days as an enthusiastic food producer for the nation, we pulled up hedges, filled in ponds, really tidied up the land for food production, leaving I suppose a characterless landscape.

However what has opened my eyes, has been the pond/lake we dug out for the caravan site as a feature. We dug it out about 8/9 years ago. It stocked itself with fish , we planted willows etc around it, together with water lilies, reeds etc.

Now it is fantastic asset, with a huge amount of wildlife around it. We get old ducks , geese , dab chicks, water hens, oyster catchers, and all sorts of grating birds, often on this coastline from Scandinavia..

If countryside schemes had maybe paid for water. Schemes similar to that. It might have had. A better effect..

Jack Caley

Jack just an observation but too much emphasis on the woman, she, her. This is century 21.

Gosh !!! Helen. Hmmmm..... Me thinks an organisation that gets gifted property, 1000's of acres of prime farmland, charges folks for car parking in beauty spots, charges plebs for tours around stately homes won't be wanting public money then. Me also thinks NT /RSPB etc. should mind their own business. And maybe it's not such a bad idea. Those that want the ' butterfly ' payment can take the shilling, and leave the rest to get on with proper farming without subs ?

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Jack just an observation but too much 11emphasis on the woman, she, her. This is century 21.
    I am sorry if it came that I might be a mysoginist. Far from it, I may be 82, and long past any naughty thoughts, but I think I probably respect and can admire beautiful intelligent women from a distance more than ever now, even if I can do nothing about it.
    No, if you read her blurb on the NT website she does come over as the classic tree hugger, who never saw hunger or poverty, but did watch a lot of Bill Oddie programmes
    Jack Caley

Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    the old tithe maps usually provide fascinating ready. They can usually be found in the local county
    Archives.e
    The time you quote 1840, was I the heyday of farming due to the support of the corn laws which were repealed soon after leading eventually to the collapse of British agriculture.We maybe heading for a similar situation now maps with the possible removal of agricultural support.
    Members of this forum will most likely have less time on their hands than me, if you do have time, the tithe maps are a guide to the evolution o farming throughout the ages, and the impact of government policies.
    Jack Caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    . . . snip . . .
    The trouble is that what she is saying is very attractive to a large number of people who have no understanding of a complete picture.

. . . snip . . .
    I forget who coined it, but there is an old saying "for any complex problem there is an answer which Short, Simple and Wrong"

Jack is right, she is very dangerous and has the ear of the people who in reality are in power, the middle class.
    The farming vote has absolutely no clout in this country and will be completely ignored now we are leaving the EU.
    I believe any future subsidies while making some nod towards food production will in fact be gobbled up by the largest landholders in the UK. People of the likes of the Forestry commission and the National Trust.
    She is just laying down the guidelines for the future of any new subsidy system, if in fact any money is put towards the countryside at all, since the NHS is always going to come first which ever colour of government gets in next time. I would not be surprised if the next government is not a very hard left one either.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

There will be no farming subsidies in time, and it would be a mistake to think that any political party of any colour has ever really concerned itself with winning the rural vote- since the majority of us that compose the rural populace adamantly vote blue or yellow and hell will freeze over before anything different happens. As such, political support for a scheme that hands out billions to farmers, some of whom are not actually farming is surely going to wane now there is no EU to pander to.

I have never rated the national trust whatsoever due to knowledge I have gained from a couple of sources who are unlucky enough to farm in or around the, heaven help anyone unfortunate enough to be one of their farming tenants, I'll say that much; from what I have learned they are firmly of the: 'organic or don't do it camp' to say the least. However, their increasingly militant and political stances are alarming for an organisation that is supposed to be a charity focused on protecting the heritage of the nation.

I have no knowledge or experience of the forestry commission, I always assumed they were a practical and pragmatic sort who grew trees for the war effort?