Thread: Does anyone bother about BVD status when buying in cattle?

Does anyone bother about BVD status when buying in cattle?

I've been tagging and testing for BVD for several years now and when i sell calve or store cattle i always tell the auctioneer that they are tagged with DNA tags and BVD free. It seems to me that both they and the potential bidders then look at me as if i've told them the cattle have been blessed with magic fairy dust or something, it never makes any difference to the price. when the consequences of buying in a PI animal are so serious, you'd think people would set more store in it.

I wonder why no one seems to bother about BVD in my part of England at least, is it because there's a lack of awareness about the problem because there's not been an eradication programme like in Scotland and Ireland? Id disease status something you consider when buying cattle, or do you just take pot luck?

Re: Does anyone bother about BVD status when buying in cattle?

Often there is not much option other than to buy in untested stock due to lack of choice. If you are buying in several animals at one mart and only a couple are BVD clear and the rest untested you will be having to mix them anyway so the clear status becomes less important.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Often there is not much option other than to buy in untested stock due to lack of choice. If you are buying in several animals at one mart and only a couple are BVD clear and the rest untested you will be having to mix them anyway so the clear status becomes less important.
    I take your point but with BVD, an animal that's tested as not being a PI now will never be one. Even if you buy two tested and five not tested, that's still two more that you know the status of, that will never be a problem, ever, and won't need to be tested when you go BVD free yourself. I also think that when someone's taking part in any sort of health scheme, it's an indicator that they're doing things right and the cattle will have had a good home.

do you know other farmers in your area that does the testing? Perhaps if you got together and planned a "tested" auction with the auctioneer you could get better results from the sale? The auction could be advertised as "test cattle" auction - maybe draw buyers more interested in tested stock?

I'd love to buy accredited BVD free stock, with dairy X replacements though it's a minefield to say the least. We're in the process of changing our replacement policy and in the past I have bought from farms who have insisted they are free of disease, only for our own testing to show that this isn't the case. I'm really pleased to see the launch of BVDFree (the English BVD eradication program) though and hopefully it'll help when sourcing stock in the future.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by matbrojoe View Post
    I've been tagging and testing for BVD for several years now and when i sell calve or store cattle i always tell the auctioneer that they are tagged with DNA tags and BVD free. It seems to me that both they and the potential bidders then look at me as if i've told them the cattle have been blessed with magic fairy dust or something, it never makes any difference to the price. when the consequences of buying in a PI animal are so serious, you'd think people would set more store in it.

I wonder why no one seems to bother about BVD in my part of England at least, is it because there's a lack of awareness about the problem because there's not been an eradication programme like in Scotland and Ireland? Id disease status something you consider when buying cattle, or do you just take pot luck?
    I don't think it is just BVD, Tesco etc are now stipulating that their producers have various health and disease control plans in places, is it Johnes disease that is now stipulated?

I suspect that there remains a hardcore of farms where a vet visit is a rarity and the 'big three' are not even on the radar, which is why, despite the best efforts of many producers, who are technically proficient and aware of the risks, they will remain in circulation nearly forever more.

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    I'd love to buy accredited BVD free stock, with dairy X replacements though it's a minefield to say the least. We're in the process of changing our replacement policy and in the past I have bought from farms who have insisted they are free of disease, only for our own testing to show that this isn't the case. I'm really pleased to see the launch of BVDFree (the English BVD eradication program) though and hopefully it'll help when sourcing stock in the future.
    BVD is a relatively easy disease to get rid of, once you've got rid of any PI's that's it really, and tag and testing of all calves ensures you don't acquire any more. how the disease works is more complicated and i think perhaps not everyone has got their head round it yet. I'm rearing hereford and simmental heifers from my freisian and shorthorn dairy cows, i'm surprised people buying them as suckler cows aren't more concerned about the BVD thing really.

BVD is a relatively easy disease to get rid of, once you've got rid of any PI's that's it really, and tag and testing of all calves ensures you don't acquire any more. how the disease works is more complicated and i think perhaps not everyone has got their head round it yet. I'm rearing hereford and simmental heifers from my freisian and shorthorn dairy cows, i'm surprised people buying them as suckler cows aren't more concerned about the BVD thing really.
    Totally agree, BVD is such an easy win for the industry compared with most other cattle diseases. Where are you based?
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Totally agree, BVD is such an easy win for the industry compared with most other cattle diseases. Where are you based?
    staffordshire, near the jcb factory

Approximately 8-10 years ago when breeding pedigree cattle I couldn't get the cows and heifers to hold to service. Always Ai'd with good success rate but this year nothing was holding and 3rd service repeating so vet was called, done bloods, call came to start vaccination program for lepto and bvd. After waiting for 2nd round if injections I let them have a heat and served on next heat to which all but one held. There's only 2 routes I can think of where this entered the herd, first was a bull belonging to a neighbour had broken into my stock when a heifer was on heat the previous summer and then 9 months later when said animal lost the massive calf born dead I got a replacement from a local dairy herd. It may not have been either of these routes but it cost me dear, I went from calving in March to July/August. Also when selling a bull to a customer after that I would say it was vaccinated for lepto and bvd, it nearly put a couple of prospective customers off because they didn't know about it, so I told them to speak to their vet and ask him more about it. They did this and came back on phone buying the bull saying that it made them think about their own herd situation and buying in stock in future. I don't know whether they done anything more about it or not and as time goes by with more financial pressures on farmers incomes' it could be that some get complacent thinking that we haven't had any trouble in years so we'll cut that cost out to save a few quid. I don't have stock atm but if buying more in future I'd want high health status animals.

Do you tag the calves with DNA tags now to monitor the ongoing status?

I had one calf a few years back come back as a PI, it was most probably caused like yours by a neighbour's animal getting in with the milkers. By sheer bad luck this one calf was born to a cow that had injured itself calving and i left it in the field with the cows with the calf on it for a fortnight before the results came back from the tags. Next year i had a batch of calves where 6 out of ten came back as PIs, plus god knows how many had slipped calves due to exposure.

I'd already sold the calves provisionally to a private buyer for 250 each so it was a bit of a loss, you'd never have known to look at them there was anything wrong. Obviously i told the guy not to have them and i'd take them to slaughter instead, but a chap i knew pestered me to let his mate have them for a rose veal unit, so i said he could have them for the killing price, as i thought it was better than having them shot straight off. There's no law against selling PIs in England, so i could have just put them through the calf ring and said nothing, but i wouldn't do that on someone, so i wrote on the passports in indelible ink that they were PIs, so they couldn't be sold on.

Anyway, the guy picked these calves up then has never paid me the few quid i'd asked, but it got worse than that,l looked on BCMS what had happened to them, and they were showing as having died on my holding, the twunt had sent the passports back and forged my signature on them, then i presume he must have got some spare passports for them and sold them on. I really should have known better, but i trusted the guy who recommended him and took him in good faith. I'm not so bothered about the money. more so about these animals being sold to some unsuspecting person who could end up in a mess as a result, if i'd wanted that to happen i could have sent them to market myself and drawn 250 a piece for them.

As a postscript, when i sold some cattle last monday, the same guy bought the first two animals, apparently he buys for someone who wants herefords, anway, i put the tenner luck back in my pocket and said he could knock it off what he owed me. He didn't bid on the others, probably cost me more that i was owed but feck it.

Sorry to see this terrible disease is still on the go, this disease wiped out our dairy herd fourteen years ago, sixty years of pedigree breeding down the drain just because some A*****LE five miles away couldn't be bothered to fence his disease ridden animals in, these people will always be about, the only way to get rid of this disease, as previously stated is so easy to eliminate, is for government to lay the law down and say no animals will be sold off any farm unless it is a BVD tested farm, and give them 12 months to get rid of any reactors and be BVD free.
    That was the only way we got rid of bruccelosis , l have no sympathy with some that are against this on cost ground, if only they knew the benefits of being BVD free, l do l lost over400 cattle so l have a right to be bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyway View Post
    Sorry to see this terrible disease is still on the go, this disease wiped out our dairy herd fourteen years ago, sixty years of pedigree breeding down the drain just because some A*****LE five miles away couldn't be bothered to fence his disease ridden animals in, these people will always be about, the only way to get rid of this disease, as previously stated is so easy to eliminate, is for government to lay the law down and say no animals will be sold off any farm unless it is a BVD tested farm, and give them 12 months to get rid of any reactors and be BVD free.
    That was the only way we got rid of bruccelosis , l have no sympathy with some that are against this on cost ground, if only they knew the benefits of being BVD free, l do l lost over400 cattle so l have a right to be bitter.
    compulsory DNA tagging and banning movement of PIs except to slaughter would do it. Anyone who objects on cost grounds is an imbecile who shouldn't be keeping cattle.

There was a time when Northern Ireland was BVD free and imports off known animals and semen from bulls that tested +ve were banned from being allowed into the country. This restricted the availability of some "top bulls" , as they were seen in performance testing, semen to the "top breeders" . Once the pressure was put on to be able to get this changed because we were missing out on the top genetics in the world the laws changed and this semen was then acceptable. (simplified version).