Thread: which long term grass ley to choose

which long term grass ley to choose

Looking forward to sowing some grass in the spring, but unsure which mix to go for as haven't re-seeded pastures for a long while as mostly parkland.

This small 5 acre field is being taken back from arable due to three telegraph posts and two oak trees. ( doesn`t suit the large farm machinery). Previous two crops were sugar beet and wheat which has just been harvested. Bit rubbishy so want to spray this autumn or forage crop to control weeds before spring grass re-seed

Would like a grazing mix, maybe with some herbs, chicory in it. Planning to use for earlyish turn out for early lambing ewes and lambs.
    The land is reasonably light, and has a wood on one side.

Suggestion's and any pro`s and con`s would be great.

Re: which long term grass ley to choose

I have had better luck using Oliver seeds , http://www.oliver-seeds.co.uk/grasse...y-prod320.aspx might be worth a look ,I cant find the link on this site for herbs , but they can be bought from them mixed in the bag or you can do the mixing yourself if you wish.
    Don't skimp on seed rate , you will see some seed sellers suggesting you can gat away with 10kg acre makes the price sound cheaper ,IMO 14 kg is a minimum .In the spring I always put 3kg of http://www.oliver-seeds.co.uk/grasse...o-prod270.aspx as cover and bulk up in the 1st year.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by robbo12 View Post
    Looking forward to sowing some grass in the spring, but unsure which mix to go for as haven't re-seeded pastures for a long while as mostly parkland.

This small 5 acre field is being taken back from arable due to three telegraph posts and two oak trees. ( doesn`t suit the large farm machinery). Previous two crops were sugar beet and wheat which has just been harvested. Bit rubbishy so want to spray this autumn or forage crop to control weeds before spring grass re-seed

Would like a grazing mix, maybe with some herbs, chicory in it. Planning to use for earlyish turn out for early lambing ewes and lambs.
    The land is reasonably light, and has a wood on one side.

Suggestion's and any pro`s and con`s would be great.
    Lightish land, fairly dry, get thirsty in summer?

Roundup when/if stubbles green up, till gently (or deeper on tramlines to remove), then get on and drill the stuff.

Minimum 14kg/acre. Not less.

8-10kg of diploid I would have said, if it's aimed at being grazey. Might shove 4kg of Lofa festulolium in there as well, it loves dry land and can be grazed unlike the other festys.

Chicory is ok, seed is on the pricey side and you need land that is largely free of the normal grassland weeds or they become impossible to control without whacking the chicory hard.

Would be tempted to put some early PRG in there, maybe a small-medium white clover in as well?

If spring reseeding drill 30-35kg/barley into the field first, then grass on top. Apply 50 units N as soon as you see the rows. Cut the lot late July.

Hi
    When you say long term ley are you looking for pure grazing, or possibly some silage ie a dual purpose mixture mix?

I would highly recommend our Preference LT mixture, which in Harper Adams trials has consistently yielded over 16 tonnes of dry matter per year. At consistently over 13.0 ME.
    If you want to add herbs then our herbal boost of chicory, plantain and yarrow can be added to any of our seed mixtures.
    Happy to discuss over the phone if you so wish?

Mark Sheridan
    07557 988 858

I sowed out 10acres this autumn which had been arable for a few years and wanted it be at least long term possibly even permanent.

My seed/spray man usually gets mixes made for him but in this case recommended me a Barenbrug mix, I might still have a label somewhere which would give you some idea of composition.

Also echo the 14kg, probably 35 odd years since I first sowed grass seed and it was 14kg back then. I can only think that some of the sub 14 kilo mixtures have possibly much smaller seeds of various things in them and can get the seed numbers with less weight. If that's not the case then indeed 14kg as a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Would be tempted to put some early PRG in there,
    I wouldn't have thought that appropriate for a long term/permanent. Beneficial for a four cut silage system possibly but if were going down that route then you'd have a different mix anyway.

No point giving you the varieties as they're NI specific.

5.5kg late diploid
    2.5kg late tetraploid
    2.5kg intermediate diploid
    2kg intermediate tetraploid
    1kg white clover
    half a kilo of timothy, the weight on it is low as the seed is so small.

Hope this helps.