Thread: Tescos are braw!

Tescos are braw!

Tesco have made the pledge that all pigmeat products they use or sell are sourced from legal production systems (re the EU stalls ban). With the exception of M&S all other UK supermarkets have so far refused to make the commitment to only sell meat produced to minimum EU legal standards.

Re: Tescos are braw!

tescos had their fingers crossed behind their backs whilst making that statement or will re-phrase it, if and when market conditions demand.

eat chicken , tastier healthier and not stall reared

Following the horse meat fiasco you'd think they would be keen at least to be seen to make some sort of commitment to welfare and quality.

There was an interesting piece on you and yours on radio 4 this morning about how the horse meat job was having a positive effect on clean cattle prices. Maybe it will do us a bit of good after all eh?

Yes, and in Vietnam and other quality pork-producing nations, no doubt stalls are still legal, so there. As good as their word. They only need to get it sent via some horse meat route to end up with some bogus EU provenance, then put a tiny label on it that says "Produced in the UK usng pork sourced from other countries". And then a wee Union Jack and job's done.

Quote Originally Posted by ladycrofter;4054, then put a [SIZE=1
    tiny[/SIZE] label on it that says "Produced in the UK usng pork sourced from other countries". And then a wee Union Jack and job's done.
    The labelling con trick has been the down fall of UK Farming Plc but has been completely ignored by Policy makers. Coming home to roost now though and the Supermarkets are realising that , also maybe the new Grocery Ombudsmen wifey, Christine Tacon, will throw her weight around a bit.

I don't very often shop in Tesco but I did call in today and was disgusted to see the amount of Irish beef and pork for sale. No offence to our friends from over the water, many of whom I know participate in this forum, and I am not doubting its quality but you support your own first unless the imports have some sort of USP other than price. At least in Morrisons they do seem to stick to their pledge of fresh being British.

I dunno, I was in Morrisons the other day and all their own brand pizzas were made with EU pork, Argentinian beef etc. I bought a cheese and onion in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    . At least in Morrisons they do seem to stick to their pledge of fresh being British.
    Morrisons are reported today to have declined to sign up to the NPA pledge to only sell pork from stall free production systems....these systems have been illegal in the EU since January 1st this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I dunno, I was in Morrisons the other day and all their own brand pizzas were made with EU pork, Argentinian beef etc. I bought a cheese and onion in the end.
    It's their fresh meat that is British. Processed products are not covered by the promise.

seems someone found a dead bird in tescos salad - don't think it was Whitney Houston either

Quote Originally Posted by pig fighter View Post
    maybe the new Grocery Ombudsmen wifey, Christine Tacon, will throw her weight around a bit.
    Unfortunately, when I spoke to Ms Tacon a couple of weeks ago, she said that her focus will be limited to supermarket supply contracts. In the light of the horsemeat scandal let's hope she will expand her remit to outlaw dishonest and misleading labelling.