Thread: Massey ferguson 390

Massey ferguson 390

Having taken over the farm for the most part we have a 390 with Massey loader and one of the main tractors and I plan to fix it up.

My main question is hydraulics on the tractor.

I figured out the single/double acting spool but I still have 2 issues/questions

1. Over the summer I was stacking hay not too heavy and the loader would only lift the bale 5 feet off the ground is this a problem or wrong setup?

2. When using the log splitter my dad used to tie the tractor spool open to make the spool on the splitter live. To me that's causing strain on the tractor. Is this considered correct practice or can I make the tractor not pump unless the splitter spool is pulled?

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Massey ferguson 390

When the log splitter spool is in neutral the oil should flow to return. The only problem might be if the return is too small and/or the return is plumed into the top of the transmission. You could potentially heat/foam the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishred1995 View Post
    Having taken over the farm for the most part we have a 390 with Massey loader and one of the main tractors and I plan to fix it up.

My main question is hydraulics on the tractor.

I figured out the single/double acting spool but I still have 2 issues/questions

1. Over the summer I was stacking hay not too heavy and the loader would only lift the bale 5 feet off the ground is this a problem or wrong setup? did you check the fluid level? any idea when the fluid (and filter - not sure if your machine has one) was last replaced?

2. When using the log splitter my dad used to tie the tractor spool open to make the spool on the splitter live. To me that's causing strain on the tractor. Is this considered correct practice or can I make the tractor not pump unless the splitter spool is pulled?

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.
    See above

If its an older well used machine, might be worth checking the hydraulic fittings on loader. Iv seen similar a few times where pin on male fitting been damaged/worn which restricts oil flow. Failing that, you prob have spools set up bigger hyd issues.
    Big tractor like that should lift anything

I will need to put the loader on to check again filters and level are ok.

Onto my next idea float for mowing, does it have it, can I get it?