Thread: Veganism!

Veganism!

Last night misguidedly for my own health and temper, I clicked on a film showing all the terrible instances of bad welfare in intensive pig keeping, followed up by the dairy industry. Some of it was awful, and probably true, some was a deviation from the truth. I suppose in some ways, it is essential we watch these things, and at least make sure if it is happening then it is stopped.
    However, I was telling my daughter about it and we were sort of reminiscing on the growth of intensive farming, compared to the old days!
    When my father died we inherited the old fashioned mixed farm, a bit of this , a bit of that! Cows, multiple suckling after foot mouth decimated our dairy herd, pigs, sheep, poultry, laying hens, about two hundred birds, which paid the men's wages, and bought our groceries, turkeys, geese, ducks, and cockerels for Christmas, you name it.
    With regard to the pigs, these were black and white saddleback, put to a Large White boar. The sows had the run of the home grass field, about 20 acres, ridge and furrow, covered in gorse bushes and old hawthorn bushes. The sows were left to themselves, a daily round in the morning would find some old sow had made a nest under a gorse bush and managed to carefully produce about six or seven piglets. These would be left for a week or two, rain or shine, until they were collected up and taken in to the farmstead. From memory they were sold as weaners of about eight weeks to a fattener for about six pounds each, probably three pound profit!
    My old neighbour where I live now operated a similar system, always left the weaners on the mother for at leat eight weeks, until they were fat little barrels to be taken to market.
    My memories of his philosophy were, leave ,em on and sow paps, right until market day!
    Just a reflection on the way farming has developed! Why did it happen? Was it for cheap food, was it greedy farmers?
    jack caley

Re: Veganism!

Mostly cheap food, but a bit of the other as well - not to mention declining farmers' terms of trade. being price takers, not price makers.
    For some time, I've thought that the price of energy was the driver, but maybe it's population growth driving up the price of land.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Mostly cheap food, but a bit of the other as well - not to mention declining farmers' terms of trade. being price takers, not price makers.
    For some time, I've thought that the price of energy was the driver, but maybe it's population growth driving up the price of land.

JV
    The price of land in the U.K. has little to do with its agricultural value, more due to external factors, such as capital gains tax, the declining value of the pound, and the fact that money in the bank is depreciating every year.
    You are of course correct, farmers are price takers, their only alternative for a viable business is to increase numbers, hence industrialisation.
    It might be better to go back to a few old saddleback sows and make sausages , sold direct to the public!
    jack caley.

Jack: ...sold direct to the public!

Yep. Entirely agree. If only I was 40 years younger, but with the knowledge I have now

JV

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    The price of land in the U.K. has little to do with its agricultural value, more due to external factors, such as capital gains tax, the declining value of the pound, and the fact that money in the bank is depreciating every year.
    You are of course correct, farmers are price takers, their only alternative for a viable business is to increase numbers, hence industrialisation.
    It might be better to go back to a few old saddleback sows and make sausages , sold direct to the public!
    jack caley.
    From what I have seen over the years , direct sales have had little success except for a very few who can maintain a high public profile such as Jimmy of Jimmy's farm.

Even then I guess he makes very little revenue from his sausages but all about the farm which is a glorified petting zoo / them park.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    From what I have seen over the years , direct sales have had little success except for a very few who can maintain a high public profile such as Jimmy of Jimmy's farm.

Even then I guess he makes very little revenue from his sausages but all about the farm which is a glorified petting zoo / them park.
    On the other side of the pond, locally we have a couple of vegetable farms that do direct-sell through roadside stands - used to be a bunch more before the highway was re-aligned. One has been going for, I think, 3 generations.

In Prince Edward Island I have bought potatoes at self-serve stands - take the number of bags of new potatoes you want and leave the money in a jar

It amuses me somewhat when I see the Black Farmers 40 tonne artic collecting sausages from Cranswick just up the road. He started up direct sales way down in the West Country direct selling local sausages!
    He now sends his lorry 300 miles to pick up from the largest sausage producer in the U.K.!
    There is a local farmer here has about 500 sows, he is very successful with his shop and has a stall at Beverley open market, it is possible!
    jack caley

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    On the other side of the pond, locally we have a couple of vegetable farms that do direct-sell through roadside stands - used to be a bunch more before the highway was re-aligned. One has been going for, I think, 3 generations.

In Prince Edward Island I have bought potatoes at self-serve stands - take the number of bags of new potatoes you want and leave the money in a jar
    Too many dishonest people over here to make a success with that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    Too many dishonest people over here to make a success with that idea.
    It is generally farm kids trying to make some spending money - too young to be around the machinery. When they see a car leave they can walk down to the stand, and they generally only have half a dozen bags at the stand

We have 2 farm shops locally
    One is a local pig farmer, has a site 4 miles from Bury St Edmunds a town with quite a high per capita income.
    He has invested heavily with an on site butchery selling only his own grown produce.
    Set up 20 years ago is not only open Saturdays selling only sausages and I can't see him going much longer.

The other is more remote sells a wide range of produce, grocery, delicatessen, butchery, pet food alongside a nursery selling bedding plants etc.with a cafe as well.
    Run by 3 sisters highly successful.
    Except there is one thing wrong, very , very little if any of the produce is their own, possibly some of the bedding plants. Most is direct from the wholesale markets of Holland. It is no surprise to know they also have a successful import export business operating out of the same yard, supplying many of the supermarkets in the country.
    The "Farm" is in name only and refers to the fact the yard was a farm 30 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Somehow think that is not in the UK
    I think where you have rural communities many miles from any large town it is very much easier for these places to thrive

I think where you have rural communities many miles from any large town it is very much easier for these places to thrive
    Prices in $$ sort of gives it away Also a Tasmanian address. Perhaps John Maddock knows it.

Ex is correct!

However, only a few kms away is this one:

https://www.sorellfruitfarm.com/

It was started by my cousin, who wanted to buy part of my farm. I would have leased, but he wanted to buy, so no deal was done.

He is now in his 80s and still consults to the farm, now owned by Chinese; he was unable to find a local buyer, despite the business being on the market for a number of years.

As an aside, Chinese have become significant land owners in Tasmania. The largest dairy in Australia was filched from under the noses of a local consortium several years ago. the Chinese owner planned to airfreight liquid milk to china, but his management has been lacking and the business appears to be languishing.

Are we all sure we are talking About the same place?

Have you posted the right link?

Have you posted the right link?
    I think both links are correct - mine certainly is.

JV

This from your link.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So is Sorrel fruit farm the same place as the Sorrel country market?

So is Sorrel fruit farm the same place as the Sorrel country market?
    Different businesses, but near the same town (Sorell) on the way from Hobart to Port Arthur. I don't know who owns the Country Market, nor do I know where they get their produce. Some may be grown on their farm - assuming they have one.

Many years ago I stayed with an I.F.Y.E. friend, the late Al Bishop in Connecticut, about 90 mins north of New York city

https://bishopsorchards.com/

who stated that they struggled in the early days coz they could not present products all year round. When they began buying in, their customer base increased and they began to prosper.

I think there are some clues to success here:

1. Marketing is key (see note 5 below)

2. A farm shop needs to be open all year round to develop a loyal following

3. It needs a diverse product range

4. The product range must be one in demand

5 The customer experience must a good one to keep customers coming back - note the Bishop's Orchard back story

I expect there are others - these are off the top of my head. Can a good conversation be developed here?

JV

Yep, Country store when I was there was very family hands on.....undoubtedly bought in other lines that sold alongside home produced stuff.
    Family were skilled “ “people 2 people” communicators .

Big part of the equation!