Thread: Mf 54 series lighting problem

Mf 54 series lighting problem

Hello there,

just wondering if any of you guys have come accros an issue with rear side lights on a MF 54 series, ive lost the power to the left side which affecting the left tail & trailer cct. Im suspecting a plug/broken wire but thers several tucked away around the cab.

anyone. Come accros a similar issue?

any pointers appreciated.

case solved, there appears to be 3 fuses associated with this, one for main relay which does dash illumination etc, one for front left & rear right & last for front right & rear left.

id just thoth there was 2. Basically replaced a blown fuse and now ok. Must be the dark days getting to me....
    Last edited by Humfy; 09-01-21 at 03:15 PM.

Re: Mf 54 series lighting problem

Sounds odd to fuse opposite corners? Usually its one fuse for one side and another for the other side? Has someone miss-connected the loom feeds somewhere crossing things over or is it a MF trait on that range?

Back to the blown fuse. Seeing as from your explanation you mention trailer connection- had a trailer or lighting board on recently and that may of blown the fuse?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Thats what caught me out, there are actually 3 fuses for it, one for all dashboard illumination, and one for each opposing side.

It was when i connected a trailer board and noticed it wasnt working either i thought id better check all fuses/manual. The fuses arnt even the same rating (going by manual) one set are 7.5 & others are 10amp.

Another wee teaser is if the dash illumination lights arnt on/auxiliary relay energised, it wont allow roof flood lights to work which can send you on another tangent. Best advice id give is before getting too excited, get manual out and use that to locate fuses. Picture in cab area is not that clear.

Ach yer live and learn. Been a but of a nuisance of late with bulbs & fuses, guess the dampness of winter gets to them all eventually.

cheers for taking time to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Humfy View Post
    Thats what caught me out, there are actually 3 fuses for it, one for all dashboard illumination, and one for each opposing side.

It was when i connected a trailer board and noticed it wasnt working either i thought id better check all fuses/manual. The fuses arnt even the same rating (going by manual) one set are 7.5 & others are 10amp.

Another wee teaser is if the dash illumination lights arnt on/auxiliary relay energised, it wont allow roof flood lights to work which can send you on another tangent. Best advice id give is before getting too excited, get manual out and use that to locate fuses. Picture in cab area is not that clear.

Ach yer live and learn. Been a but of a nuisance of late with bulbs & fuses, guess the dampness of winter gets to them all eventually.

cheers for taking time to reply

Had a good one this week servicing one of our loaders- a Manitou 735, got to the last few jobs and found the horn fuse blown, replaced it- works ok, checks the rest of the electrics only to find the stop lights not working, then found the horn had blown the fuse again! Got the ops book out and read thru the books fuse layout only to find the horn fuse also powers the stop lights (no mention on the fusebox cover) more horn fuses pop when using the brake pedal as its a real good short. Decide to take the stop bulbs out and see if one or other points to which side it may be, then on close examination this was obvious-

The light clusters contacts were all poor and the stop bulbs so bad that the high resistance heated the blob of solder in the cap centre enough to run down and make a short direct to the earthed cap and the bulb holder it was sat in!

BTW, I have a habit when we get a new machine to write on the front of the operators manual- "Fuses- page-123" just to make it easier for those moments when your in a hurry.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Humfy View Post
    Hello there,

just wondering if any of you guys have come accros an issue with rear side lights on a MF 54 series, ive lost the power to the left side which affecting the left tail & trailer cct. Im suspecting a plug/broken wire but thers several tucked away around the cab.

anyone. Come accros a similar issue?
    Nearly every 54/64/66/67 tractor I've ever owned has had problems with the rear lights, where the wire goes under the mudguard its prone to corroding only the sidelight terminals in the plug/socket that connects it to the main wiring loom. Had one on a tractor thats 9 months old go a couple of weeks ago and on Thursday night the other one went off. Basically the copper terminals in the socket are rubbish and just rot away. You can see in the picture the green in the plastic connector where its reacting to oxygen, believe it or not these lamps are 9 months old.

What really needs to be done with them is either change the connectors or use some self-amalgamating tape to seal them when new to keep the water out.