Thread: Igniter ?

Igniter ?

I have a problem with a 25cc Kawasaki 2 stroke engine and I thought that it might help to keep this forum going if I asked it on here. I've got a poor spark, even with a new plug and I have only ever dealt with normal magnets & things inside the flywheel before and that was many decades ago ! I can buy a new igniter but wondered if that could be the reason for my poor spark. TIA for any help & advice.

Re: Igniter ?

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I have a problem with a 25cc Kawasaki 2 stroke engine and I thought that it might help to keep this forum going if I asked it on here. I've got a poor spark, even with a new plug and I have only ever dealt with normal magnets & things inside the flywheel before and that was many decades ago ! I can buy a new igniter but wondered if that could be the reason for my poor spark. TIA for any help & advice.
    how clean is the connection between the flywheel and the pickup? a corroded connection or improper gap can reduce the spark.

also, what does the engine use for a shut-off? some of those small engines use a choke like shutoff (remove air) while others have a method of grounding the spark. if it is using the latter, check that there isn't something causing the spark to be gounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    how clean is the connection between the flywheel and the pickup? a corroded connection or improper gap can reduce the spark.

also, what does the engine use for a shut-off? some of those small engines use a choke like shutoff (remove air) while others have a method of grounding the spark. if it is using the latter, check that there isn't something causing the spark to be gounded.
    Thank you for your response Ironhead. I haven't investigated it thoroughly yet but I have found the igniter and wondered what it was used for. The shut-off is some form of electrical dis-connect, just a switch on the handle. It doesn't interfere with the air supply to the carb.

It is actually a small strimmer with a Kawasaki TG24 engine and 20 years old. It is so handy for the fiddly bits, I have 2 other strimmers for the bigger stuff.

Thank you for your response Ironhead. I haven't investigated it thoroughly yet but I have found the igniter and wondered what it was used for. The shut-off is some form of electrical dis-connect, just a switch on the handle. It doesn't interfere with the air supply to the carb.

It is actually a small strimmer with a Kawasaki TG24 engine and 20 years old. It is so handy for the fiddly bits, I have 2 other strimmers for the bigger stuff.
    By Igniter, i think your referring the the ignition coil? bit like this?

Remove the coil, lightly clean where it mounts onto the engine, likewise on the coil, clean the magnets and outer edge of the flywheel to remove corrosion, likewise on the two coil legs. Mount the coil and nip up the bolts with the maximum gap possible between the coil & magnets, place a 6thou feeler gauge between the two, release the bolts and tighten fully, now carefully wind out the feeler gauge. Check any wiring/connections as well. Best to use a new plug in case its a resistor/suppressed type that may of broken down. Try it to see what spark you get. it may boil down to issues within the coil or lead, but usually they work or not at all.

if all else fails a new coil is the way to go.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    By Igniter, i think your referring the the ignition coil? bit like this?

Remove the coil, lightly clean where it mounts onto the engine, likewise on the coil, clean the magnets and outer edge of the flywheel to remove corrosion, likewise on the two coil legs. Mount the coil and nip up the bolts with the maximum gap possible between the coil & magnets, place a 6thou feeler gauge between the two, release the bolts and tighten fully, now carefully wind out the feeler gauge. Check any wiring/connections as well. Best to use a new plug in case its a resistor/suppressed type that may of broken down. Try it to see what spark you get. it may boil down to issues within the coil or lead, but usually they work or not at all.

if all else fails a new coil is the way to go.

Thanks FF, but I think we are in different territory nowadays. This "igniter" is outside the engine and this is an identical replacement : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114745604975 and the diagram below is a Kawasaki breakdown (item 21119).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks FF, but I think we are in different territory nowadays. This "igniter" is outside the engine and this is an identical replacement : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114745604975 and the diagram below is a Kawasaki breakdown (item 21119).
    That shows the age of it, earlier models may of had points and condensor, back in the day its was common to see retro-fit "igniters" as the yanks called them, being sold as replacements for old school setups simply by cutting the wire and using one as shown in the 4th image on your ebay link. Later modern set-ups seem to have some form of device within the coil to sense/make it spark when required?

The igniter, like points and condenser setup generally either produce a spark or don't. Your weak spark probably is still down to the coil having a poor earth, a poor HT lead/suppressed cap. I'd check those out first.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

I was used to coils and points in my old 2-stroke motor-biking days of 60 years ago but not this modern 2-stroke stuff. It may have been my fault why it's all gone wrong anyway. I started to hang the strimmer up by a bracket that is actually a stand when working on the strimmer but unbeknowns to me there was a leak on the top of the petrol tank and being as the tank was vertical when hung up all the petrol has leaked inside the flywheel etc.