Thread: Jack's Crop Report

Jack's Crop Report

Whenever I drove to Ontario from New Brunswick, Jack would be looking for a report on how crops were doing. I am sure Jack is looking down from above at these crops, but for everyone else here is “Jack’s Crop Report” (as seen while driving 70+ mph)

Potato country New Brunswick – corporate home to the world’s largest French Fry processor (McCain’s) - a number of fields seemed to be up a foot or so with no buds – they had also been cultivated creating 6 or 8 inch rows.

Milk country Quebec (well, just the south shore of the St. Lawrence) – some fields of corn looked to be up over 2 feet high (some not as high). Haying in process and with the height of the windrows and distance between them, it looks like many fields will have a very good crop

Ottawa Valley Ontario – crops looked a lot like in Quebec (similar weather, . . .) with many fields of corn up over 2 feet and many good fields of hay.

Re: Jack's Crop Report

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Whenever I drove to Ontario from New Brunswick, Jack would be looking for a report on how crops were doing. I am sure Jack is looking down from above at these crops, but for everyone else here is “Jack’s Crop Report” (as seen while driving 70+ mph)

Potato country New Brunswick – corporate home to the world’s largest French Fry processor (McCain’s) - a number of fields seemed to be up a foot or so with no buds – they had also been cultivated creating 6 or 8 inch rows.

Milk country Quebec (well, just the south shore of the St. Lawrence) – some fields of corn looked to be up over 2 feet high (some not as high). Haying in process and with the height of the windrows and distance between them, it looks like many fields will have a very good crop

Ottawa Valley Ontario – crops looked a lot like in Quebec (similar weather, . . .) with many fields of corn up over 2 feet and many good fields of hay.
    Hello Ironhead

An interesting commentary, thank you.

Some years ago I joined a (non-agricultural) bus tour of those areas, and was somewhat dismayed by the geology and dearth of soil in many parts. It must have been - maybe still is - hard farming country. even allowing for the climate. Looking back, I'm not surprised Saputo chose to expand it's business by entering the Aus market. Did I read of a potential move into the UK?

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper